19 Sep New Years Traditions Around the World – Quiz
Shall we have a little quiz to celebrate the New Year? All celebrations are different around the world, which makes it the ideal subject for a quiz ! The perfect calm activity to do with children before the fireworks ! You could, of course, add, remove or change the questions according to the ages of the participants. To make it more complicated, create two teams, the first to sound the buzzer wins a point/a sweet!
Correct answers in bold.
1. Which country is the first in the world to celebrate the New Year ?
- Christmas Island (Kiribati)
2. When does China celebrate the New Year ?
- 31st December, obviously
- 1st June
- Between 21st January and 20th February, according to the moon’s position
3. Traditionally, what were fireworks used for ?
- Encouraging people to come together and reminisce on the previous year
- Scaring and chasing away evil forces
- Representing a year that will be colourful and magical
4. Which country invented fireworks ?
5. When did the first New Year’s Eve party in Times Square take place ?
6. What happens there at midnight ?
- A metal ball hung in the middle of the square falls to the ground
- There are fireworks
- Everyone sings together
7. Traditionally in Spain, how many grapes do you have to eat whilst the clock chimes to ensure good luck for the coming year ?
8. In Italy, what do people eat to guarantee good luck ?
- The left-overs of the Christmas cake
9. In Denmark, what do people do with their plates to celebrate the New Year ?
- They paint them with images of the previous year
- They use them to eat, of course
- They break them against a door
10. What does that symbolise ?
11. What is the name of the Scottish song sang at Midnight in England ?
- God save the Queen
- Auld Lang Syne
- We wish you a Merry Christmas
12. What are you supposed to do whilst singing this song ?
- Clap slowly
- Cross hands with the person next to you to make a circle.